You only get one face – and choosing who you permit to inject it is your most important decision when planning treatments such as dermal fillers or anti-wrinkle injections. This should be your No.1 priority before deciding what you’re going to have done – and as medical aesthetics are not regulated in the UK (don’t start me!), vigilant research is essential.
The right injector will respect being asked to prove their credibility.
I appreciate it when people question my experience – it shows me they are taking the procedure seriously – as they should. I’ll happily share before and after pics and certification to prove my training, qualifications and experience… any day of the week.
Some important points to consider when choosing a practitioner:
- Are they medically qualified – ie doctor, registered nurse or dentist.
- How much experience do they have in Aesthetics? Aesthetics courses can be completed in one day!
- If they are a nurse, are they a nurse prescriber? An advanced qualification available only to those with extensive clinical experience, enabling them to prescribe and administer drugs (eg Botulinum toxin).
- Are they trained to competently manage and treat any complications which may arise?
- What products do they use? Do they order from reputable pharmacies with a cold chain on delivery? (Toxins can denature and won’t work as well as they should if not stored at correct temp)
- Will they show you the product box before injecting to confirm that it hasn’t been opened before and has approved markings?
- Are they willing to show you before and after pictures and testimonials – and do you like what you see/ read?
- Registered Adult and Children’s Nurse
- Nurse Specialist in Public Health Nursing
- 20+ years’ experience since qualifying
- Senior Nurse in emergency care
- Highly experienced injector in aesthetics
- Extensive experience as an advanced injector with some of Northern Ireland’s most renowned clinics
- Have my own independent clinic
- Fully qualified nurse prescriber
- Advanced aesthetics training with global industry experts, updated in latest techniques on ongoing basis
- Attended masterclasses in specialist aesthetics techniques in Harley Street, Belfast and Dublin
- Completed Allergan’s prestigious MD Codes to Year 5 Advanced Skills in aesthetics
- Am a member of the Acute Complications Management Group
- Only use premium, FDA-approved products from Metz Belotero and Juvederm ranges from reputable pharmacies.
- Will always be honest and ensure a full no-obligation consultation
- Always willing to share evidence of my qualifications and work.
While personal recommendations are ideal, it’s ultimately your responsibility to make sure that you’ve chosen the right practitioner for you – in terms of safety, experience, ethos and style of work.
So do think about whether they lean towards a more natural look; are particularly skilled at your chosen treatment – and have photographs of their own work that reflect the results you would like to achieve.
A pre-treatment consultation is of course essential – and don’t be afraid to have several until you find someone that feels like the right fit for you. A combination of the above elements + your own gut instinct is an excellent guide to finding the best aesthetics practitioner for you.
Clara McLoughlin, Aspire Aesthetics NI
BSc (Hons), PG Dip, SCPHN, RGN, RCN, Independent Nurse Prescriber
If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me at: